The Tribes of EPA Region 5 (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan) would like to share with you the 2021 Edition of the Tribal Air Resources Journal, Volume 13. The Tribes in Region 5 have compiled this Journal since 2008 to promote our air achievements and successes, and share obstacles and setbacks encountered in their Tribal communities and air resources. This year, and last, proved to be a year of testing many Tribes’ resolve and in this Journal some Tribes address how COVID has impacted their Programs.
NTAA has released a Tribal Template Letter to comment on EPA’s Proposed Emissions Guidelines to Reduce Methane from the Oil and Natural Gas Industry. You can find NTAA’s new fact sheet on NTAA’s Policy Resource Kit page here. Last week, NTAA’s Chairwoman Carol Kriebs testified during EPA’s public hearing last week. You can read her remarks here. Deadline extended: Comments are now due to the EPA on January 31st, 2022 (previously January 14th) Comment here!
Submit your 2022 NTFAQ Presentation Abstract | Google Form
The National Tribal Forum on Air Quality (NTFAQ) aims to support Tribal programs by fostering information-sharing and networking opportunities that are focused on building Tribal capacity in air quality management. The event’s agenda is driven by Tribal input and priorities, with a focus on increasing Tribal engagement in air quality initiatives that are relevant to tribal communities across the nation.
The NTFAQ is scheduled for May 2-5, 2022. Sample topic for presentations or trainings may include but is not limited to:
- Air Quality & Grants
- Air Quality Policy & Regulations
- Indoor Air Quality
- Air Quality Health and Research
- Technical: air monitoring, data management & analysis, emission inventories
- Tribal Case Studies: examples of Tribes implementing air quality projects & programs
- Climate Change & Air Quality
- Community engagement: youth, elders, and community leaders
- Tribal/Traditional Knowledge
If you have questions about the agenda, presentation options, or other ways to participate in the event, please contact Andy.Bessler@nau.edu.
- Call for Presentations Opens: December 1st, 2021
- Presentation Proposals Due: January 15th, 2022
- Letter of Notification (will include instructions and timeline): February 17th,
- Presentation Materials Deadline: March 28 (if pre-recorded) April 15 (if in-person)
Ambient Air Quality/EPA/NTAA/Tribes News
Missoulian – EPA grants boost smoke, disease protection
Indian Country Today – ‘Historic’ meeting renews push for Black Hills
Indian Country Today – Netflix’s ‘Maya and the Three’ inspires a list of Indigenous warrior princesses
Indian Country Today – Making ‘Molly of Denali’ as ‘authentic as possible’
Here’s your link to this week’s NACAA Washington Update
E&E Climate Wire – Dems scramble, seethe after Manchin kills climate bill
E&E Climate Wire – ‘Top of the list’: W.Va. faces surprising climate dangers
E&E Climate Wire – Military exempt from Biden order to cut federal emissions
The New Yorker – The Year in Climate